Crabman

Reel Servicing

37 posts in this topic

Few pics of what / how Salt Water / Sand and Dirt gets into places of your reels ..

rays 1.jpg

rays 2.jpg

rays 3.jpg

rays 4.jpg

3 people like this

Yeh after a good wash and some replacement bearings ..

2 people like this

Another lot . main gear shot on this 1 next to the bearing ,, salt can do a bit of corrosion that eats into some material and softens it .. 

safta 1.jpg

safta 2.jpg

safta 3.jpg

2 people like this

before and after bearing / bail roller bearing  which you could not see any of this until it was taken apart , so always spray a bit around your bail roller bearing ..

Saints reel 1.jpg

bail roller 1.jpg

5 people like this

Firstly, I would like to know, how in hell, did you get that "Sand"  /  "Salt" into the reel ?  Did you drop it and tread on it in the sand on a beach ?

Seems that , that reel hadn't seen any preventative maintenance at all for quite some time ...  naughty naughty ...

The cleaned parts look very nice indeed ... ultrasonic cleaner ? or isopropyl alcohol?

The new drag washers, home made ... where did you manage to get a sheet of carbon fibre from , and what did you use to cut them out with ?

Sharp scissors ?  Wad punch ?  Be interested to know ...

Thanks for sharing your insight into reel care.

Great White

1 person likes this

Great insight there Crabman, thanks.

Nothing "Crabby" about your work, well done and it's given me (and hopefully others) the kick to "recheck" our maintenance regime. Which is a nice way of saying getting motivated to service our neglected reels. Mind you, I'm almost certain we've all been naughty in some way or another with reel maintenance.

I used to service My Dad's reels with him and it is still an endearing memory I have of us together. As Dad always fished with Mum (outside of fishing with me) all the "neglect & damage" was always blamed on Mum, said with a rye smile ... then we'd crack up laughing. And Great White ... I have to vouch for the "travelling" properties of sand. In Dad's reels, there would be sand in every nook and cranny.

Which beckons a question. I know what a "nook" is (a little crease or partially hidden fold) BUT what is a "cranny"?

Cheers, Bugatti.

2 people like this

Great clean up job there Crabman.. it came up a treat.. 

Salt water certainly can knock the guts out of a reel that's for sure.. doesn't matter how many times you wash them down after each trip it still seems to penetrate it way into the reel somehow. I have quality Daiwa salt water reels that I use for my trout fishing in the rivers here mainly because every now and then I'll drop the rod & reel in the river. I still give them a light service every six to eight weeks.. oil the bearings & shaft every three weeks.. 

cheers

Adrian

2 people like this

'' Mepps Spin Fishing Guru ''                                                                                                                                                                                                             g-Adrian working the Meander River fast water (Custom).JPG

Some of the things i use for Reel Service / Parts Washer using food grade Cleaner / High quality punch set for doing Carbon Drag Washers / light fine oils and quality Grease .

1.jpg

20.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

4 people like this

Crabman... where did you get your punch kit from? and where did you buy sheet fibre from for the drag washers.

I have a few old shimano aero cast's and I need new carbon washers, and carbotex doesn't have my sizes..

Cheers

Great White

Hell there's a lot of corrosion there reel Crabman,  my problem would be remembering how it all went back together....

Always seem to end up with a small spring over or something like that..:D  I suppose if you take them to pieces often enough like you do it just becomes easy 

where everything comes from & goes back to..

cheers

Adrian

3 people like this

'' Mepps Spin Fishing Guru ''                                                                                                                                                                                                             g-Adrian working the Meander River fast water (Custom).JPG

On 4/4/2017 at 11:34 PM, Great White said:

Crabman... where did you get your punch kit from? and where did you buy sheet fibre from for the drag washers.

I have a few old shimano 1989 Aerocast's and I need new carbon washers, and carbotex doesn't have my sizes..

Cheers     Great White

Are these available from "Tool" shops, or would I have to find "Specialty" shops ??? to procure this stuff ... ??

Please help ....  you can PM if you want

Great White

2 people like this

Maybe you could buy the drag washers from Crabman 😉

Not sure a business will share there secrets to much mate.

2 people like this

pro staff.jpg

Nice work Crabman. You want some dirty reel pics? I can bring a few of mine in for a service !!!!!!

3 people like this

pro staff.jpg

3 hours ago, Moons said:

Maybe you could buy the drag washers from Crabman 😉

Not sure a business will share there secrets to much mate.

Give Rob a call GW, im sure he would be happy to supply you with the washers you need and it would probably be more economical anyway, a good wad punch set is going to cost you over $100, that's a huge pile of washers

3 people like this

58fe95f09bf59_aarronsig.jpg.423c0cd41d30f59bc589ca3926b012d1.jpg

11 minutes ago, LAR-FIN said:

Give Rob a call GW, im sure he would be happy to supply you with the washers you need and it would probably be more economical anyway, a good wad punch set is going to cost you over $100, that's a huge pile of washers

Thanks LAR-FIN

Have sent off a nice and shiny PM ....

GW

4 people like this

Great job on the servicing!  I would never attempt it myself...would not get it back together the same way!

The reels you have done...by chance are any of them models that have the mag-seal (Daiwa)?  I sort of hope not because if they are...then I don't think the concept works that well!

cheers

Jim

3 people like this

Yesterday's are gone!

Three of my top quality reels are Daiwa's with mag seal Jim, what have you heard that's a problem with them.. I do know that the mag seal lubricating oil for them is around $60-$70 for a small tube.. touch wood I haven't had a problem with them yet, could be due to the fact I only fish in fresh water too..:D

cheers

Adrian

2 people like this

I haven't heard too much Adrian.  Most criticism along the lines of the reels are meant to be returned to Daiwa for service.  I noticed the first pic on this thread was a Daiwa reel and thought if it was mag-sealed, then it really didn't help!  I have ordered my third TD Sol 2 and was thinking if it was of no assistance, then the mag-seal was pointless and my decision to purchase them was pointless!

cheers

Jim

1 person likes this

Yesterday's are gone!

11 hours ago, meppstas said:

Three of my top quality reels are Daiwa's with mag seal Jim, what have you heard that's a problem with them.. I do know that the mag seal lubricating oil for them is around $60-$70 for a small tube.. touch wood I haven't had a problem with them yet, could be due to the fact I only fish in fresh water too..:D

cheers

Adrian

Adrian,  not only is that oil expensive , but ..... DAIWA has withdrawn the oil from Reel Shops, so that "YOU HAVE TO", send it to DAIWA for servicing.

Read the reports from Alan Hawk regarding this ...  DAIWA Mag Sealed Reels

Makes for some very interesting reading ..... especially regarding DAIWA's "Top End Reels" ...

Great White

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Great White said:

Adrian,  not only is that oil expensive , but ..... DAIWA has withdrawn the oil from Reel Shops, so that "YOU HAVE TO", send it to DAIWA for servicing.

Read the reports from Alan Hawk regarding this ...  DAIWA Mag Sealed Reels

Makes for some very interesting reading ..... especially regarding DAIWA's "Top End Reels" ...

Great White

Very interesting read, Michael.

Servicing of reels (or anything for that matter) seems to be a niche little market that Companies are taking bias advantage of, for extra profit, to the detriment of the consumer. Granted if you give servicing, maintenance or repairs a go yourself then you do it at you own risk/peril but at your ability level & at a calculated risk but that decision is now being taken away from the consumer for the benefit of company profits.

Crabman has shown in this post/thread how well servicing/repairing your own reels (or anything else) can be done properly and at a cost more suited to a consumers budget. If "send away to the manufacturer/dealer" is the only option for some products .. then these products, although would gain extra revenue for the company, there would be a drop in demand for these products due to the "after sales" difficulties of these products

Let us service/maintain our own property if we so choose to .... please.

Cheers, Bugatti.

2 people like this

It all comes down to Research your product thoroughly, before parting with your hard earned ....

Makes you start to think twice regarding some of the so called "Top End" reels these days... if you can't service them ...why buy them ( as per Bugatti)

It actually made me think twice also regarding Daiwa.... 

So , it looks like the days are gone, when you brought a new reel, it came with tools for servicing / dismantling, and oil and grease ... yes, they did !!!

I still have reel boxes that still have it all in it !!!

Again, homework, research, not only performance now, but ability to service comes into play .... 

Damn, all I wanted was to go fishing, and fix my own stuff ...

Great White

3 people like this