Crabman

Reel Servicing

37 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Great White said:

..............................................................................................

... if you can't service them ...why buy them ( as per Bugatti)

...............................................................................................

I wouldn't service any reel!  I have the mechanical aptitude of a brick! :D  I was aware that they would have to be returned so it came as no surprise to me re: having to return them.  So why did I buy them?  I had some issues with a couple Shimano reels and wasn't happy with the response so that was it!  Looked at Daiwa then and by chance the models I wanted had mag seal.  But I will say, I read a comment on another forum once from a guy who is switched on tackle wise.  He said that if the mag seal was so good, why has no other tackle company tried to replicate it!  A very good point.

cheers

Jim

2 people like this

Yesterday's are gone!

Me, i dont have the time or patience to do it.

plus my eyes are knackered now days.

i would rather pay someone to do mine. Also that way I cant stuff it up.

i did pull a reel apart one day to,have a go, a Abu 7000.

i was around to Crabmans shop,later that week with all th bits in a ice cream container to be put back together.   

4 people like this

pro staff.jpg

So far I haven't had a problem with the seven Daiwa reels so far, all have performed beautifully for me, though I am only fishing in freshwater which may be the difference..

Yep, I remember the reels coming with a small tube of oil and tools too, now they only come with a few small washers for setting the line correctly on the spool.. .

cheers

Adrian

Daiwa Ageas & Presso rod.jpg

Daiwa Exceler 2000H.jpg

Daiwa Impri 1503 (Medium).JPG

Daiwa Revros.jpg

1 person likes this

'' Mepps Spin Fishing Guru ''                                                                                                                                                                                                             g-Adrian working the Meander River fast water (Custom).JPG

Here's the mag sealed bearing and how to oil it..  $63-00  a tube from Singapore & South Korea..

cheers

Adrian

58e87c9f741e5_s-l1600(2).jpg.02798456a5972801ad8eaf2d8fa590ce.jpg

58e87c9ed762c_s-l1600(1).jpg.25031e692c9b1a1a935b66438f3603e8.jpg

58e87c9db73e0_MagsealedDaiwareel..jpg.b6b37eb1bc910a49a06809c7774f3cfe.jpg

s-l1600.jpg.bed167d7f742c0534386b9487886d462.jpg

1 person likes this

'' Mepps Spin Fishing Guru ''                                                                                                                                                                                                             g-Adrian working the Meander River fast water (Custom).JPG

Check it out on you tube....    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullhWju3704

there's quite a few video's on there showing how to service them, quite easy to do.. beats sending them away.

cheers

Adrian

1 person likes this

Thanks Adrian...before I service them I have to use them first!:D  

Also, I just noticed your previous post...the pics of the 3 Daiwa reels.  Are these the ones you are saying that have the mag-seal?  If so, I am not so certain that they have it!

cheers

Jim

1 person likes this

Yesterday's are gone!

Posted (edited)

The red one in the top photo Daiwa Ageas is a mag-seal reel as is the Daiwa Presso 3rd photo down, and one that's not there is the 

Daiwa Gekkabijin  in this photo. They are three of my Daiwa reels  that have mag-seal.. the Exceller & Revros don't have them Jim.. 

cheers

Adrian

58e8d99702d51_s-l225(1).jpg.44dd88c7b3983c465a14736f9e69e3ca.jpg

Edited by meppstas

Hi guys,

Just after advise or tips for reel servicing. After every trip I always hose down the rod and reel, after salt water trips I'll pop her (the reel) in some soapy water then give a good rinse. Every few trips I'll take out the spool and give her an oil, but as per image bellow I don't take her fully apart; how often should I take her in to get a full strip down? What reel oil do you use? And has anyone used products on their gear, or motors even, to help protect from the salt?

Cheers in advance :) 

Tight lines 🎣

Kateimageproxy.php?img=&key=fbbb9048d2497346

IMG_8611.JPG

2 people like this

58b3e87a878f5_prostaff.jpg.ed01eb3f57ec59d5541c9a3f5eb148ac.jpg

Kate I am sure Crabman will have all he answers.

as will a few other members

me I wait until they stop working then take them to a mate ( crabman) to fix. 

3 people like this

pro staff.jpg

Personally not a fan of using a hose to rinse a reel, to much chance of water being forced through a seal. i prefer a spray with an anti salt solution like salt terminator or salt away then a rinse in a bucket of fresh water before leaving to air dry, once dry a light spray with inox then back into the box/bag/cupboard. If they need a full service then its off to crabman:D

2020111.jpg.0a1b787b5e79d70c85e7d92cf74cdb4f.jpg

4 people like this

58fe95f09bf59_aarronsig.jpg.423c0cd41d30f59bc589ca3926b012d1.jpg

When I was constantly fishing every weekend over on the east coast, I would wipe down my rods and reels with warm soapy water, then lightly spray with fresh water,

to get everything off, wipe dry and let stand to standing upright.

Once dry, disassemble and give the reels a slight wipe over with gun oil. ( The old stuff that contained PTFE, thanks to the Armoury on base. )

Wasn't much else around back in the early mid 80's.

These days, a quick light spray at the boat ramp, then a thorough clean at home.

Great White

4 people like this