Rod Bender

Show us your purchases!

51 posts in this topic

Well...somebody had to do it!  Most fishing forums I have been on have a thread like this to post pics of purchased items relating to our hobby!  So I thought I would start it off!  Picked up these 3 lures today at the local Compleat Angler store.  Their lure prices are very competitive for a tackle store.  Their normal price for these color lures are $14.95.  Lately they have had them on special for 2 for $25!  Then I noticed another deal they had in an advert in a magazine.  Bring the ad in, buy any 2 Rapalas and get a 'spotted dog' pattern for free.  Thought I may as well get 2 of them at the already special price of 2 for $25...so in the end 3 for $25!  Picked up 2 F7's and an F9.

But wait...there's more...have found the spotted dogs in CD 5's in a local store for $12 each!  Anyway, feel free to put up your pics here of what you buy.

cheers

Jim

image.jpeg

2 people like this

Yesterday's are gone!

Well I've just received my new Daiwa Presso 6'0'' ULS rod, i also have a 6'6'' Presson ULS rod as well with a new Daiwa Presso Impri 1503 reel on it. The 6' Presso has a Daiwa Exceler 2000H reel on it now all ready for the new trout season ahead. I also picked up a few Wildbait Hard body lures to see how they fare against the Rapala lures, very similar in design. 

Daiwa Presso ULS 6'.jpgpresso-lt-p1.jpg

Daiwa Impri 1503 (Medium).JPGWild bait lure group. (Small).JPG

cheers

Adrian 

'' Mepps Spin Fishing Guru ''                                                                                                                                                                                                             g-Adrian working the Meander River fast water (Custom).JPG

One thing I like about the Daiwa reels...they all seem to have very sturdy looking bail arms!  Is one of the rods 3 piece...or is that just the pic?

cheers

Jim

1 person likes this

Yesterday's are gone!

that's just the pic Jim..  All of mine are two piece rods.. also picked up a few of these Rapala's too F-3 & F-5 juvenile Rainbow pattern..

F_BJRT.jpg

Adrian

Edited by meppstas
1 person likes this

'' Mepps Spin Fishing Guru ''                                                                                                                                                                                                             g-Adrian working the Meander River fast water (Custom).JPG

We may have had this conversation before Adrian but have you used that particular pattern before!  I am interested as I have had some for a while but foolishly haven't used them yet!

On another note, it seems Adrian and I are the only ones keeping the tackle industry afloat!  Noticed these Live Target 'Baitball' lures in the local Compleat Angler 'bargain bin'...50% off, which brought them back to about $12.  I remember seeing them advertised when they were first released and thinking they looked rather good!  Despite the fact they proudly wear a sticker which states they one the award for best hard bait lure at the 2013 ICAST awards, they ended up in the bargain bin here!  Target fish for these will be cod and yellas in the local channels.

cheers

Jim

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

Yesterday's are gone!

When I saw the live target lures I thought they would be a huge seller. For some reason they never really took off with anglers, not sure why.

58fe95f09bf59_aarronsig.jpg.423c0cd41d30f59bc589ca3926b012d1.jpg

No haven't used them yet Jim as I've only recently bought them, will be giving them a try in the new season, that's if there's any trout left here in the flooded rivers..:)

Those are pretty interesting lures, have seen them as a pair but never a triple, like a little school of fish.. Hope you bag a fish or two on them mate..

cheers

Adrian

When I first saw these 'baitball' lures, I thought i was going to be a big buyer!  Somehow they dropped off my radar!  I have no doubt they will work Adrian.  There was a time i would not have considered using them for cod...snaggy water etc, diving lures are easily lost.  Now that the cod are in the relatively snag free channels, it has opened up an entire new range of options.  Best thing too is that these lures are not that big and could easily pick up a yella or a redfin!  Not exactly a lure that would be used to chase big cod but I have no doubt no self respecting 60 + cm channel cod will hit it!

cheers

Jim

1 person likes this

Yesterday's are gone!

Well, look forward to a report when you get the chance to flick them around Jim..

1 person likes this

I'll be glad when the trout season starts as I'm spending too much money on fishing gear.. :D:D

Picked up a pair of these new Rainbow designed Rapala F-5  hard body lures this morning.. I did get the Bob from New Peakes in Devonport to get them in as well as some F-3 in the same design but  he didn't get the F-3 ones in. So i just grabbed two of these new ones.. I reckon they'll go well in the rivers here too..

Rapala new rainbow model (Small).JPGNew Rapala design. (Small).JPGHead shot Rapala rainbow (new model) (Small).JPG

cheers

Adrian

17 hours ago, meppstas said:

Well, look forward to a report when you get the chance to flick them around Jim..

Won't be for a while Adrian.  By the time the waters around here clear enough for lures, cod season will be close to closing.  Of course I will still fish the channels with lures but likely smallish ones like soft plastics to avoid the cod.

The 'rainbow' coloured Rapalas you have...is that a new color that is available?  What I mean is, are they still making the traditional rainbow color or has this replaced it?  Guessing it is a new separate color.

cheers

Jim

Yesterday's are gone!

Fish will still pick up the vibes in dirty water too Jim.. I've caught trout on spinners & hard body lures in dirty water before.. use a dark coloured lure is best.

It's a new colour and the old ones are still available too.. I'm after some F-3's in them now.. I've been in touch with The Fishing Tackle Shop in QLD to see if they'll get half a dozen in for me.. They sell Rapalas for $12.95 in their online store. These ones cost me $17-00 ea here in Tassie.. they always overcharge down here then wonder why people buy online. A few year back I spotted an Okuma VSystem 15a spinning reel in a tackle store here, they wanted $420.00 for it, I finished up getting it from Mo-Tackle for $260-00.. I mean I can't justify the same reel being $160-00 dearer here than on the mainland..

cheers

Adrian

Edited by meppstas

7 hours ago, meppstas said:

Fish will still pick up the vibes in dirty water too Jim.. I've caught trout on spinners & hard body lures in dirty water before.. use a dark coloured lure is best.......................................................................................

cheers

Adrian

It makes sense what you say.  I have seen pics on your reports where you say the water is dirty.  It often looks sort of tannin stained and likely has some organic material suspended in it...but there is still some limited visibility.  When we talk 'dirty water' here, I am talking about water with zero visibility, 'chocolate'!  I will admit I never try lures in these conditions here after previous failures, but have witnessed others trying and failing dismally.  

cheers

Jim

1 person likes this

Yesterday's are gone!

Still doing my bit to boost the local economy!  Jigheads and 9" grubs...will be used in the channels for cod.  Reality is one or two of the grubs may end up on spinnerbaits!

cheers

Jim

image.jpeg

2 people like this

Yesterday's are gone!

Picked up a few more things this week.  These Daiwa Advantage reels somehow appeared in a local tackle store several months ago.  As far as I can figure, they are now discontinued models.  I also found out from Daiwa that spare parts for them are hard to come by now.  But I still took the plunge!  I like them because they are built like 'tanks'!  

Spin reel which will go on a Daiwa Gen Black rod.  It comes with a spare spool as well.  This outfit will be used on Redfin and trout.

image.jpeg

The baitcaster will be going on a Samurai baitcast rod and will be used to chase yellas and cod.

image.jpeg

I likely will be trying Fins 40G braid on the baitcaster.  The spin reel is likely to have one spool of braid...Sunline Castaway, 10lb and one spool with mono...Platypus Super-100, 8lb if it is available.

cheers

Jim

2 people like this

Yesterday's are gone!

Nice mateB|

Dont be shy about doing a review in the reels section after you have given them a try out

58fe95f09bf59_aarronsig.jpg.423c0cd41d30f59bc589ca3926b012d1.jpg

Local Tackleworld store had a sale...30% off items under $100.   Couldn't help myself!

image.jpeg

2 people like this

Yesterday's are gone!

Oh No!! not again Jim, are you starting up your own tackle store.. :D  

Still I can't talk as I'm no better either, have to grab a bargain when you see them..:clipart-best-clipart-best-AhIR98-clipart:

3 people like this

Keeping the local tackle store people in business!  Most of this stuff was discounted...some at half price.  It is stuff I will use eventually but it is getting (my spending) a bit silly now. Have new reels to spool...but instead of buying line am buying stuff that isn't really a priority!

cheers

Jim

160911 purchases 18.jpg

1 person likes this

Yesterday's are gone!

Went into the local Tackleworld store this week...whilst they have a bucket of Jackall lures at 2 for $40...it appears as though I can't help myself!

Jackall 15.jpg

cheers

Jim

I need help!

Edited by Rod Bender
3 people like this

Yesterday's are gone!

So...paid off a largish bill...had some money left!

Am going to try and convert Ricky the Roach into Murray the cod come summer time!

Ricky 15.jpg

Picked up some more mono...this is what I should be concentrating on as I need a fair bit!  Penn Super X to be used as leader and main line and Schneider to be used for leader only.

line 15.JPG

Locally produced '4D' brand chatterbaits.  This purchase came out of an offer for a free one!  Go figure!  The guy from the local Tackleworld offered me a freebie and just said to post some pics of it up on their site when I catch some fish!  Yep...he obviously doesn't know who he is dealing with!  I told him that the likely outcome would be a pic of the lure hanging from a regulator!  So...they looked good and I thought I may as well get a few...knocking back the freebie I asked if they could knock a bit off the price and of course they did!  So now I have to get out there and catch something when the channels clear!

4D 15.jpg

cheers

Jim

2 people like this

Yesterday's are gone!

The local tackle store had a sale today. Lots of lures in the 'bargain bins' which were good value but I refrained and got what I needed! Some braid for several new reels that I have yet to use...in this case...baitcasters. Only received 10% off but it is better than nothing.  The 15 lb will be going on the Daiwa Advantage baitcast that I have and the 25lb will go on a Quantum Exo baitcaster.  With cod season closed it will be a while before I use them.
cheers
Jim

Fins 40G.JPG

3 people like this

Yesterday's are gone!

Wow!! Jim it looks like you're been very busy with the bargain hunting lately..  I think you're turning if not already turned into a fishing tackle junkie..:D:D\

Good club to be in too, I think I'm a member of it too..B|

cheers

Adrian

3 people like this