Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Another tough day at the office...

Recommended Posts

Another tough day at the office... 


I left home just after 5:30 am this morning and headed to the upper Mersey River for an early spin session in what was a reasonably cool morning with the lightest of breeze. As soon as I arrived it was on with the wading gear and off for a forty minute walk to where I would start the spin session. I was trying a new stretch of river (that I checked out on Google Earth) for the first time this trip so I didn't know what to expect. It looked okay on Google Earth at the time, now I'm just hoping it will give up a few trout at some stage of the spin session. When I finally arrived there I could see I was in for a tough day at the office, it was a very long rocky stretch of river and it looked like the river bottom was going to be my biggest test, on the body that is. Once in the the river I knew right away I was going to finish the day a very sore man indeed as I struggled to keep my footing on the rocky river bottom. Most of the water I'm fishing here is fast water and it varies in depth from shallow to just below the waist. I was now thinking why the hell did I have to pick an area like this, had I known before hand what it was like I would have stayed well away from here.


Now this isn't going to be easy fishing my way back up through this water.. (and it wasn't)


Neither was this...

I started flicking the little gold spinner around and let the water do the work in carrying the lure down in between the rocks in the fast water runs where I had a hook up in no time at all. It was a nice medium size brown, it made a dash downstream & with one decent head shake it tossed the spinner. At least I new there were trout here which was good ,so I may catch a few trout after all this morning. As I continued to struggle my way upstream I did have the odd hit and miss as well as several follows but couldn't manage to get any hook ups. I changed over to the little ghost brown hard body as that usually sucks the trout in most times I've used it. After twenty minutes of working the river with it all I had was two follows from a couple of nice size browns and that's as far as it went. Not a sign of aggression from those two browns at all.


Brown hooked & lost here..


Small side water, no fish in it either..


Slowly getting to the end of the tough rocky stretch of river.. 


At last I'm out of it.. well just about.

I had at last come to the top end of the very fast water and was now into a nice stretch of medium to fast water runs which I found to be a lot easier to wade, still slippery and rocky but nowhere near to what I had just fished over the past hour and a half. I decided I'd give the Rapala F3 rainbow lure a go now seeing as the trout weren't interested in taking the ghost brown. I think it was on the third or forth cast when I had a trout take the lure as I retrieved it down a fast water run that flowed between a couple of large rocks. After a short tussle with this trout it came to the surface and that's when I saw it was a nice medium size rainbow. Once again it's the rainbow that's been the first trout taken on a spin session.


Much easier fishing here..


A rainbow trout picked up here, finally had a fish in the net..


Solid rainbow..

After that the trout became more aggressive for one reason or another and I caught and released three nice browns over the next four short medium flowing runs and lost two others as well. The Rapala rainbow pattern lure seemed to be the right choice after all. The wind had now picked up from the West and was blowing straight down the river making it near impossible to get a decent cast in. It was a matter of waiting for a lull in it then casts as quick as I could before it hit again. A few times the wind hit just as I cast the 3 gram balsa Rapala and it carried it right back to where I was standing in the river. Not only that I was getting quite a few wind knots in the line too which was starting to annoy me.It was a little quiet over the next hundred meters of river before I picked up another rainbow and one more brown. The wind wasn't easing off and I was nearly back to where I could get out and head back to the car so I called it a day.. It certainly was a tough day in the office today with just the four browns and two rainbows caught, not only that the old body was feeling it too and it was nice to get back to the car.


Browns taken here..


Fist brown of the session.


And another..


Just took this as I thought it would make a nice photo..


The last brown of the day (both pics)


End of the road for me, my day is done..



  • Like 2

                                                                                              '' Mepps Spin Fishing Guru ''                                                                                                                                                                                                             g-Adrian working the Meander River fast water (Custom).JPG

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this